Powerful readings based on inspiring athletes and great biblical themes.
There are few human events that are more stirring than the Olympic Games. The courage, the determination, the sacrifice, the commitment we see in many athletes moves us, sometimes even to tears.
The qualities that made for great athletic endeavors did not go unnoticed by the biblical writers. Paul and others saw the Christian life as a great race, requiring disciples to apply to the spiritual realm many of the vital qualities that made one an athletic champion.
This Book, built around the theme of the Olympic Games and the lives of those who have left lasting impressions, will stir the hearts of disciples of Jesus Christ around the world, helping many to run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
It can be used for 30 days of inspirational quiet times and the editor, Toney Mulhollan, has used these stories as outlines for effective Bible Talks.Here are the thirty athletes covered below:
- Day One‚ Spiridon Louis: The Race Marked Out for Us
- Day Two‚ Vladimir Salnikov:¬¨‚Ä†The Power of Training
- Day Three‚ Wilma Rudolph: Weakness Turned to Strength
- Day Four‚ Tam Darnyi: Incredible Dedication
- Day Five‚ Lasse Viron: Restoring the Glory
- Day Six‚ Lis Hartel: Determination That Defeats, Discouragement
- Day Seven‚ Babe Didrikson Zaharias: Using All Your Talents
- Day Eight‚ U.S. Hockey Team: The Power of Team
- Day Nine‚ Emil Zotopek: From Dull to Daring
- Day Ten‚ Olga Korbut: Set an Example
- Day Eleven‚ Shuhei Nishada & Sueo Oe: Eternal Friendship
- Day Twelve‚ Herb Elliott: Not Without Coaching
- Day Thirteen‚ Jackie Joyner-Kersee: The Impact of Family
- Day Fourteen‚ Eric Liddell: The Power of Deep Convictions
- Day Fifteen‚ Bob Beamon: All Things Are Possible
- Day Sixteen‚ Rafer Johnson: Overcoming Injury
- Day Seventeen‚ Agnes Keleti: Holding To the Dream
- Day Eighteen‚ Adhemar Ferreira da Silva: Straining Toward What Is Ahead
- Day Nineteen‚ Kip Keino: Pressing Through the Pain
- Day Twenty‚ Jesse Owens: Victory over Intimidation
- Day Twenty-one‚ John S. Akhwari: Finishing What You Start
- Day Twenty-two‚ Jim Abbott: No More "I Can't"
- Day Twenty-three‚ Oksana Baiul: Overcoming the Sadness
- Day Twenty-four‚ Dan Jansen: After the Falls
- Day Twenty-five‚ Lawrence Lemieux: The Interests of Others
- Day Twenty-six‚ Michael Johnson: Learning from Failure
- Day Twenty-seven‚ Louis Zamperini: Never Give in to the Enemy
- Day Twenty-eight‚ William Collins: The Power of Consistency
- Day Twenty-nine‚ Gabrielle Douglas: The Power of Inspiration
- Day Thirty‚ Glenn Cunningham: Never Quit