As I have written in my own memoir, my friendship with Gordon has been and continues to be a great source of faith, encouragement and strength. He is the real deal, and I am blessed that God brought me into his sphere of influence. As you will see in this Book, after a raucous beginning where there was a crazy mixture of leniency and legalism, he made a decision to surrender to Jesus, and having put his hand to plow, has never looked back. He went on to be one of the clearest voices in our day for the compassion and grace of God that leads to all-out and complete commitment.
A plain-spoken fellow who sees no need for fancy words, Gordon does not leave you guessing at what he thinks. As I read the manuscript, I could not help but think how my father would have loved this Book. I can just hear him saying to me, "Son, your friend Gordon knows how to put the hay down where the goats can get it." The straight talk we get from Gordon is sometimes linked with a wacky sense of humor, and lots of practical insights about living out the Kingdom of God‚Äö√Ñ√¨life as God intended it.¬¨‚Ä† ‚Äö√Ñ√ÆTom A. Jones
- Adherence to the fundamentals of the faith without being eccentric or unrelatable
- The destructive and divisive consequences of pattern theology
- All types of ministry training within Churches of Christ, yet a failure to stop the decline in membership
- The key to growth of the ICOC in its early days was built on total commitment to Christ and a total dedication to his mission
- The present impact of disunity, shallow commitment to discipleship, and loss of vision
- Where we are as a movement now, where we may be headed and much more